Tuesday, May 15, 2007

david chang in interview at momofuku ssam bar

To elaborate--it's no secret I've got a hard on for the guy, so needless to say, I was excited to see him. I stopped in with friends for a ssam or too. Ended up eating the pork buns and Dr. Pepper. On my way to order, I congratulated him. I wanted a chance to talk a bit more, but the interview went on for a while, and then we were ready to leave. The reason I love David Chang is in every salty sour sweet bite of pork bun, the bottom of the bun splitting, and I try to keep the meat in with my fingers, holding it to my mouth pinched between thumb and index, my pinky ring and middle cupped under the bottom of the bun and my other hand catching the drips, still pork is spilling out and there's juice on my chin and I'm with friends but goddam this is a good pork bun and, i'm sorry, you were saying? I love the restaurant because it's fucking delicious and I could talk about the atmosphere and the decor and the hip factor and the p.r. machines, but at the end of the day, I'm sitting elbow to elbow at a bar with guys in suits and girls in mini skirts; we've all got meat juice dripping down our chins,and it doesn't matter because it's about the fucking food...period.

3 comments:

sgtpants said...

Pork buns and Dr Pepper are both perfect foods in my book. Have you had the smoked chx wings?

Anonymous said...

Found your blog though Frank Bruni's outpost at the Times.

Like what you're doing here.

Nice work.

I'll be back for seconds and thirds.

Charles said...

Smoked chicken wings? Nooooo. I've only been to Ssam bar twice, first had the ssam, then the pork buns. I will try those Tuesday, definitely.